Yep, made another full cycle around the sun today.
For my birthday, I gifted myself a flight review, as that was now due (you need to have one every two years). Kind of a mandatory gift, that.
Got to the airport and had the preflight done when Brian the instructor pulled up.
Wind was blowing from 190 around 11 knots so there would be some decent cross-wind technique practice during the review.
We went over stuff on the ground as a refresher and then got in the plane.
I took off and headed for Linden as it was a close by un-towered field.
Completely buggered up the initial approach, and decided to do a go-around, and then redid it and then did a decent landing. I was flying too high and fast on final, which is a bad habit of mine, so we decided to break that habit,
Linden did have a surprise for us on that landing - Sandhill cranes - which are rather large birds, and they decided they wanted to hang around the runway. Since hitting a Sandhill on final or takeoff can really wreck your day, we decided to head back and finish at Ponitac after doing some air-work. Landed on Runway 27 and one just walked across as we landed much fun.
So we then trolled the runway revving the engine trying to get the Sandhills to move, and they at least got off the runway and stayed off it long enough for me to do a short field takeoff to get up before we passed the point where they were hanging out.
Did a good short field takeoff from Runway 9 and up we went.
Then we worked on slow flight and stalls, and I did two good power off stalls and recoveries. More importantly, I really really worked on slow flight, using pitch and power to climb and descend, while keeping the airspeed right locked on at 60 knots which does help your landings quite a bit.
Then we headed back to Pontiac, and got some pattern work in.
The slow flight practice certainly helped, and I did three good touch and goes and then a solid final landing.
That's 1.5, 5 landings, and a flight review done.
Now off to a birthday celebratory dinner.

1 comment:
Happy birthday!!!
Post a Comment