Monday, October 07, 2019

Masada - The Handgun This Time, Not The Fortress

A brief interlude from my Israel trip, but still Israel related, in this case, a new handgun - The IWI Masada.

Named after the Masada Fortress in Israel, It offers a lot of quality and features at an extremely competitive price.

I just purchased this pistol.

A polymer, striker-fired pistol, it features an ambidextrous magazine release and slide release, offering easy right or left hand operation. It comes with two metal 17-round magazines.

It's very comparable in size to the Glock 17.

I find that the trigger is much better than the stock Glock trigger, and it feels to me like a VP9 trigger in terms of smoothness and feel, but that's quite subjective.

It has a removable backstrap with Large, Medium or Small inserts. Again fit and comfort is better for me even with the standard medium back strap than the Glock 17. It feels less blocky and fits the hand much better. Again that's a subjective opinion.

A major advantage of the Masada is it comes optics ready at a price less than even the standard non-MOS mount Glocks.

The firearm comes complete with mounts and mounting screws for the RMR, Venom, Delta Point, and Romeo 01, so you can mount the optic of your choice very easily.

A comparable Glock 17 MOS goes for $599 retail or more at many stores where I've seen it. The IWI Masada comes in around $440 and I've found them for $392 at times. That's a pretty significant price difference for a comparable pistol.

In a market saturated with striker-fired polymer pistols, where Glock dominates, it will be interesting to see how and if the Masada, with all its features and price point, catches on. It seems like a solidly built pistol that can stand on its own merits.

I'll take the Masada to the range shortly to try it out.

2 comments:

MrGarabaldi said...

Hey Aaron;

Dangit, now I really like the look of that pistol, I will see if they have a .40S&W version :) Now I gotta save some money, LOL

Aaron said...

MrGarabaldi: I think so far its only out in 9mm, but it's a very nice handling firearm indeed.