Friday, July 23, 2021

Flying IFR - Lesson 14 - Well, That Sucked

So today was the flight portion of Stage Check 2.

It did not go well.

Basically showed up and pre-flighted the airplane, in the rain, met the instructor who was doing the check ride and was told we would do The Flint VOR 18 circle to 27, then the Flint ILS 27, then the Flint RNAV 27 followed by the RNAV 27L circle to 27R at Pontiac. Not a lot of prep.

Of those, only the RNAV at Pontiac went even passably well.

In short, I was feeling rushed, over-controlling, behind the aircraft, and not ready for this stage check. 

I do feel like I'm still missing a lot.  On the upside, the check instructor who is the head instructor for DCT said I seemed to have a good understanding of what was going on and was doing things right but need a lot more work on my instrument scan and controlling the airplane.  I think I fooled him on the understanding part though.

So yep, I flunked that one pretty good.

Ah well, need some more work on it but I kinda knew that going into this stage check, onward and upward or something.

That 's 2.0, 1.7 simulated instrument,  4 approaches with 3 being crappy, and 1 landing.

4 comments:

B said...

I am told the Instrument ticket is the hardest to get.
I think they are correct.
I didn't do it in 50 hours either.
once you get there, yer gonna use the autopilot anyway....

juvat said...

I busted a few instrument rides while in UPT as did most of the guys in my class. No biggie, just got to figure out what you did wrong and what you need to do to fix it. Then DO that.

As a great movie once said, "Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Got my rating in 1968. Things were much simpler then.

Old NFO said...

Concur with B and Juvat.